About

Hello! My name is Stacy Baker (@stacycbaker). Iโ€™m a high school biology teacher in the northeast USA. I started blogging for my students in 2006. For over 5 years my students contributed over 90% of the content to our world-famous blog, Extreme Biology. The blog is currently not active as I’m in the process of transitioning to a new school, but I hope to get it up and running again soon!

Several of the students have gone on to blog for Nature Education and helped me create a unique conference for students and teachers calledย ScienceOnlineTeen (#scioteen).

While I’m not very active on this blog any longer, the archives contain a lot of information for any teacher looking to start using blogs in their science classroom.

You can email me at extremebiology@gmail.com

Any opinions expressed in this blog are the opinions of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the institution where I teach.

3 thoughts on “About

1. 1. where can a person find an e-mail address on this thing? ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. while trolling through your classroom flickr site… erin & i decided that we are interested in the “organic molecules” game. what’s going on there?

3. your school? good lord. jealousy over the top here.

Sean

2. I added my email! ๐Ÿ˜‰

The game is nothing special. It’s really simple…I just found basic pictures of organic molecules and then stuck them on the wall. When the kids walked in the room I gave them each the general name of the molecule (e.g. monosaccharide, triglyceride, steroid, etc.) and then had them go stand by the picture they thought matched. We then checked everyone’s answers. That gave them a quick review.

Then for the game I had them get into two teams. Each team sends one person to the starting line. Then, I call out more difficult descriptions like, “glucose is one of these”, or, “these can be saturated or unsaturated”, etc. The two students at the starting line race to go and touch the molecule that matches the description. Once they’ve touched a molecule they can’t change their mind.

It’s very easy and pretty fun. Of course, like all review games, if the kids get too into the racing and the “game” the review is useless. I had one class this year that I had to stop the game for that reason. But, for most of the time it works really well.

Wait…I didn’t get the jealousy comment.