Friday, February 24th, 2012...6:18 pm

Timeline of Writing a Blog Post

Section of a poster created by Perrin Ireland during a presentation my students gave on challenges they face while blogging. Click on link for full poster.

I was invited to write a blog post for L’Oreal’s For Women in Science blog, Agora.  Thrilled at the invitation, I soon struggled with what to write.  After I finished the post, I decided to share my writing experience with several of my students in the hopes that it will help them see what we all go through when we write a blog post.  Hopefully, it will make them feel more confident in themselves and realize that the fears they have are shared by us all.

Deadline for post: Saturday, Feb 25

Started: Tues, Feb 21

Worried over what to write.  Stared blankly at screen.  Felt anxious.  Decided to work on it tomorrow.

Wed, Feb 22

Couldn’t come up with a beginning.  After about 15 minutes of staring at the screen, I decided to write my purpose for the blog.  What were the points I wanted to make to my audience?  Wrote down two ideas.

Couldn’t come up with anything to write.  Didn’t know how to start.  Decided I needed to start with a story that would hopefully draw my readers in.  Something I experienced in the past.  But, couldn’t think of anything.  Tried not to think of the deadline and decided to work on it tomorrow.

Thursday, Feb 23

Came up with an idea for a beginning and started writing.  Wrote quite a bit, but worried people wouldn’t find it interesting.  But, I kept writing.  Found a way to incorporate my two main points into the post with nice transitions from one to the next.  Felt proud.  Came up with an ending, but felt it was somewhat cheesy.  Started worrying again that no one would like or read my post.  Started doubting why L’Oreal asked me to write it in the first place.  I reminded myself that it was for a good cause, I had two important things to share, and hoped someone would find it interesting.

Sent rough draft to friend for feedback.  Friend liked post and only made a few suggestions.  I started to feel better, though I still had doubts.  Decided a fresh look at it tomorrow would be best.

Friday, Feb 24

Felt better about post.  Rephrased some sentences.  Added some new content.  Printed post out so I could read it on paper.  Seeing it on paper made me catch a few things I wanted to change.  Found a way to write a better ending that revisited the opening story I used.  Asked a different friend to read it for feedback.  Friend also liked post and had only one suggestion.  Made a couple more minor changes.  Printed it out again.  Decided post was final.  Felt a bit nervous.  Knew it wasn’t perfect.  But, satisfied nonetheless.  Excited to see it on L’Oreal’s blog.

Take home message

The main points I hope my students get from this post are the following:

• everyone experiences self-doubt and anxiety about their writing
  • the important thing is to keep writing; it’s easier to edit and remove bad content then to try to write only great content all the time
  • printing out your post might help you see it in another perspective
  • always ask someone to read your post; better yet, ask two people

1 Comment

•   darinlhammond
    January 5th, 2013 at 3:05 pm    

Hello, Stacy,

It’s so good to see you writing about blogging and getting your students involved. I think it can be such an asset to teaching in any field, but I am in English, so it’s especially relevant.

I enjoy your empowering ideas in the end. Writing and blogging are not as frightening as many people think, and it’s helpful to get the word out.

I appreciate the post,

Darin