Wednesday, January 7th, 2009...7:53 pm

Join The Synapse – a Social Network of Biology Teachers!

I’ve very excited to be one of the administrators of The Synapse, a social network of biology teachers.  It’s quite diverse with teachers across many grade levels and different years of experience.  Please come join us!

Why should you join?  You can share ideas, get help with lesson plans and lab activities, and receive encouragement and emotional support.  There are different groups you can join (general biology, AP Biology, Zoology, etc.) to discuss class specific topics.

If you’ve never used Ning or Facebook or some other social network platform you’ll notice there is a lot going on in the network.  So, let me point out the key steps to getting started.

When you go to the home page, click on Sign Up:

After signing up, check out some of the forum articles and add your own thoughts to the discussions:

Also, join a group:

Once you get comfortable with using the network you’ll notice there are some other really cool things you can do like add videos, music, and pictures.  The more teachers who join the network and share their ideas the better it will be.  I look forward to seeing you on The Synapse!

6 Comments

• Nice.

Thanks for this post. I often make the mistake of skipping ahead on the web2 train and just assuming that anyone wanting to take part in this network would just “figure it out.” While that might be true for many, this post does a nice little screenshot intro on “where to click” to get started in a very basic way.

I am excited to see so many getting involved in our little adventure at The Synapse… and I am very happy you signed on to do this with us! Isn’t it fun constantly looking for that next nugget of inspiration?
    ;-)

Sean

• [riffly_audio]67CD173EE68711DD86D768DB68DDF31E[/riffly_audio]

No, video comment Test for me today as it’s a holiday and I’m definitely not camera ready. :-) The only downside to this is the ridiculous ads. That makes me rethink its value.

• Thank you so much for posting this! I had no idea a site like this existed – I joined immediately and left some comments :), joined groups and created my profile. GREAT resource! Oh – and I invited a friend :) Hopefully, we can spread the word – this is fantastic!

• Thanks for the post. I recently started teacher training and am just now entering the world of professional networks.

I’m quite excited!

•   Waseem Ahmad
    September 2nd, 2009 at 12:39 am    

I am very excited to start blogging….its ma 1st expericence……..i hope to benefit from this blog in future
    regards
    Waseem Ahmad

• Hello,
    I think it’s a best place for biology students and teachers to have what they want and to interact. I liked Biology but, couldn’t find a supportive platform to project a career in it.